Saturday, April 2, 2011

Everyone's fighting a battle

  The day after we found out about Dylan's tumor we had Disney on Ice tickets.  I reaaallly didn't feel like going.  The idea of having to smile, have fun,  AND put make up on, was pretty much overwhelming.  But, after I realized my kids had watched me cry for 24 hours straight, I decided it was a good idea to get out.  I started putting my make up on in the car just as we were approaching the exit to give myself a better chance of tears not ruining it.  Once we got in I was fine, and so happy to see my kids smiling and happy!  During intermission I went to get the girls a treat.  While I was standing in line I was wondering how the world could actually go on after we had just found out about Dylan's tumor.  It was hard for me to keep it together standing in line, by myself,  watching all the people carelessly buying $50.00 cotton candy :)  How lucky they all seemed to be living in happy land.
  A couple days later Mandy called me after she had gone to Costco.  She told me how weird it felt to be doing something that was so normal before....but how not normal it felt.  She was feeling the same as me....how are all these people who I shop with often at Costco, going on with their lives?  How is the world still living??  
  Yesterday I ran into Dylan's cancer buddy Cyndi at Walmart.  We were both in the toy section and were lucky enough to see each other.  She looked so cute!!  She had a great wig on, covering her bald head, and a darling pair of glasses.  I told her....no one would EVER know what you are going through right now.  Then, the reminder came to me...we NEVER know what people are going through.  We can assume that everyone around us are living perfect lives, void of any heartache.  We can convince ourselves we have it worse than most everyone.  We might also start to envy and feel jealous of others "carefree lives".  
   BUT the real truth is,  like I said to Cyndi,  we never know.  I will never understand what people are going through just by looking at them.  None of their trials will be shown to me just in passing.  I have so much sympathy for those who are suffering.   It is so important for me to be kind and patient, even to strangers.  We are all fighting our own battles...

4 comments:

  1. Chels, you make me cry everytime I read your words. You write your feelings so well. I love you and your family. Our thoughts are with you all. Alisha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel the same way when I am out at the store. I look at people so differently because we really do not know what others are facing. You put it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post... It is so true and I needed to be reminded of this. I hope you don't mind me following Dylan's story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i heard a little story/quote one time that went like this: if everyone gathered up all their problems and laid them out, we would look at ours verses everyone else and take our own pile back home! :) kinda the same thing. i keep you ALL in my prayers

    ReplyDelete